Wildfires in Clark County - are you prepared?
Oakland, California... 2,750 homes destroyed in just six hours
Oakland is a more urban area than Vancouver, yet if it can happen there it could happen in Clark County. We are already experiencing drought conditions in Clark County. This could be the largest wildfire season in the last 10 years. Do you know what to do in the event of a wildfire?
More people are moving into areas adjacent to forests, or area with extensive combustible fuels that can act like a ladder to bring uncontrolled fires near family homes. If you live in a forested area (also called an interface area) you should plan to take steps now to protect your home and family.
In the event of a fire, Vancouver Fire Department's number one priority is protecting people. Homeowners can assist us by taking steps in advance to protect your family and home from fire
Protect Youself and Your Family
- Install Smoke Alarm
- Have a Home Escape Plan
- Develop a Plan
- Practice with Family
- Determine a Meeting Place
- Safe Distance from Home
- Safe Distance from Neighborhood
- Have an out of area contact for friends and relatives to call
Protect Your Home
- Fire Resistant Roofing & Materials are a good defense against wildfire
- Defensible spaces around the home
- Small steps can make a big difference
- Link: Rate Your Home for Wildfire Safety